Part 5: The game clock is winding down

There’s a battle of sorts waging in the town of my alma mater between a local “alternative” newspaper and some folks in agriculture that at first blush might be likened to the newspaper headline “Dog Bites Man!” That there’s a battle between agriculture and this particular publication is not news.

I have to chuckle at the self-proclaimed title of “alternative” newspaper for the Chico News & Review; after all, if words mean anything then one might wonder if the CN&R is a conservative publication. After all, being a university town, Chico, California is hardly a bastion of conservatism!

Fall colors on the CSU Chico campus. © Todd Fitchette

Even though a large number of gullible (see also: Liberal) college students live in close proximity to the university, surrounding Butte County and the rest of Northern California tend to be more politically conservative in nature given the large agricultural base that supports the region socially and economically.

Nevertheless, I’m enjoying my new-found reading opportunity of a couple of ag-based blogs as I continue my quest to spur a change of culture in America towards the economic foundation of our national security and sovereignty.

One such blog was mentioned in a previous blog post. The other is a blog by Chico Locker & Sausage Co. Inc. The two entities: Chico Locker & Sausage and the CN&R, seem to be locked in a battle over some stories published in the weekly newspaper over the latest hyped news about ground beef in America. I won’t repeat the he-said, she-said minutiae related to this debate (I’ll let you decide by reading it for yourself), suffice to say that it’s part of the typical war on agriculture in this country by those who refuse with an iron will to see the truth for what it is.

This is yet another example of how American agriculture has been forced into a defensive posture by antagonists with nothing better to do than snipe at traditions and economic truths in this country. My intent here is not to pick on Chico Locker & Sausage Co. My intent is to use this as a springboard to open discussions and eyes to the idea that American agriculture needs to take the proverbial ball and run hard with it, rather than simply playing defense by trying to keep the other team from racking up too many points against them.

There’s too much at stake here and the clock is winding down for American agriculture to continue to fool itself that the current public relations programs, publications and pushes are having a significantly positive outcome for the 1% of this population that feeds the remaining 99%, not to mention a significant portion of the rest of this world.

I heard a pastor on the radio recently talk about his efforts to forge discussion with the enemy, so to speak. He talked about reaching out to the militant homosexual groups and others who so ardently opposed his efforts in California to define marriage as that between one man and one woman. While this is not the venue for that discussion or its merits, I mention it to bring up an interesting idea.

The pastor set out to purposefully meet with his opponents and get to know them; not to come to some sort of consensus or “bipartisan agreement.” The tenets of his faith are too strong for him to give in to his core principles. Rather, he wanted to understand where his opponents were coming from on a more personal level. Granted, his purpose, as he stated, was to be more Christ-like in his approach to the issue, whereas with the aforementioned agricultural debate being lost by farmers in this country, ours might not do so poorly to borrow from the pastor’s sermon notes.

In the next blog post I’ll continue with this idea that maybe, as I read from a speech given by California Farm Bureau President Paul Wenger, it’s time that we forge some alliances with various groups where we do have common viewpoints and build upon that to move the ball towards the goal of winning over the hearts and minds of more Americans before we cede our agricultural production to nations that do not have America’s best interest at heart.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s